VACCINATION FOR CATS AND DOGS -IS IT IMPORTANT?
Why must we vaccinate our cats and dogs?
There is no effective treatment for any viral diseases because by the time an animal is seen to be sick, the diseases have often progressed to the point where treatment is ineffective. Antibiotics are useless against viruses. The only safeguard is prevention by vaccination.
Classification of vaccine
There are various types and brands of vaccines that are available in the market. However, these vaccines can be divided into two groups:
- vaccine that used "weak' or live virus - less safe because the virus in the vaccine solution can create reverse reaction that can be bad for the dog or the cat. Usually the price of this type of vaccine is cheaper than killed virus vaccine.
- vaccine that used killed virus - safer because killed virus is used and it is inactive. The price of this vaccine normally higher.
- There are also vaccines that could protect dog or cat from one, two or three diseases only, and the price of these vaccines are cheaper.
When can we bring our cat or dog for vaccination
- Earliest is at 6-8 weeks old (2 months old)
- Second vaccination or booster at 12 weeks old
- Third vaccination or booster at 16 weeks old
- Followed by annual booster - after 12 months. Annual booster is highly recommended as a lifetime protection for your dogs and cats.